Tuesday, May 10, 2016

it really wasn't a secret...

But for some reason, I never told you about this.  In the last published issue of KnitStyle magazine, #194, July 2014, my mid gauge design 'Bold Shoulder' appeared. I had used a ribbon yarn knit quite loosely  in a manual-selected 1X1 tuck stitch. I felt I had a 'history' with the design (blogpost http://knitwords.blogspot.ca/2014/07/bad-news.html )and I was pleased with how it turned out. They did eventually return it to me but as it was a 34" finished size, it certainly didn't work for me so I gave it to my niece Lauren as a birthday gift last year. She loved it.
Anyway, in the meantime, I had decided to make it for myself but on the standard gauge machine. Main reason, although I like using the LK150 mid gauge, I don't particularly like the finished weight of the garments, especially for an 'indoor-wear' design - too thick and heavy for my short, curvy (read chubby  ;-)) body! I had some of this marsh-print Wool Crepe Deluxe that I decided would do for the experiment, meaning that I should have enough to complete the garment without stressing out about running out, but not a big deal if I did as I had plenty of old swatches that I could possibly salvage if necessary. Also I wanted to use the loose-knit tuck stitch (same needle tucking every other row with a plain knit row between which I programmed in instead of hand selecting, of course!) that was my original design. On the KS/mid gauge version, I had wanted the extra width that the tuck stitch would provide and the stability that it would add to the loose gauge (eliminate any potential for biasing of the fabric). The added bonus - either side could be used as the right side. In the mid gauge version, I did use the knit side as the outside but with this one, the variegated yarn looked nicer to me on the purl side so mine has the purl side as the right side. In the accompanying article in KnitStyle, I had given a few other similar manual patterns as options and also advice on seaming and edges depending on which side was the outside of your garment.
I used the shape from the mid gauge pattern (in my size, of course) but instead of the elliptical hemline (curved lines, shorter in front, longer in back using shortrowing) I simply made mine straight across, back and front the same which created the dipped points at the side seams - I love that look and it seems to work for me (in my mind anyway!). Also I had given the finished pieces a really hard press to flatten and widen the fabric.
My friend Cathy came by the other day with her camera and I got her to snap a few photos just for you! I don't even mind the diamond pattern that appeared in the yarn automatically - at least they are consistent! I think it's a really fun top, I've enjoyed wearing it and had lots of compliments! I do plan to reknit it in a solid colour WCD and use the knit side!

No comments: